Giraffe is the tallest animal of the animal kingdom whose legs can be 1.8-2.1 meters long. These species can reach up to 6 meters overall and can weigh around 4 tons.
Their average running speed is 60 kilometres per hour.
Let’s explore a little about the tallest animal of the animal kingdom:
- Giraffes are the tallest terrestrial animals with the longest neck and legs and also the largest ruminants. They are natives to Africa.
- They can run as fast as 35 miles per hour for shorter distances and 10mph over long distances.
- Giraffes spend a major percent of their life standing which includes activities like sleeping and giving birth.
- All the species of giraffes have a distinct pattern and texture. No two giraffes look alike.
- Both male and female giraffes have hair-covered horns called ossicones which they use for fighting other giraffes.
- Making various attempts to fight their enemies for protecting their calves, another wild often spot and kill the babies at a vey tender age.
- Giraffes can live for nearly 3 weeks without drinking even a drop of water. They consume gallons of water at once which satisfies their thirst for a longer period.
- The fact that giraffes do not make sounds is a misconception. Giraffes, snort, hiss and sometimes make low pitch noises that are out of human range.
Animals with the longest legs:
Many impressive animals roam around inhibiting their outrageous body shapes. We saw earlier that giraffes are the tallest animals of the animal kingdom. Here are some more species who are famed for being the tallest ones illuminating out some more hidden facts about them. Let’s have a glance:
Elephant can bear outstanding heights and is one of the animals with the longest legs in the animal kingdom. They could reach 4 meters higher against the pull of gravity and can even compete to giraffes on being the tallest ones.
Elephants dwell in the Savannas of sub- Saharan Africa. Elephants have an average lifespan of 70 years. Currently, their population is moderate and spread around different parts of the world. But each year 8% of the total population is hunted down. Moreover, their population increases at a slow pace due to their long gestation period which is about 22 months.
Ostrich can grow up to 9 feet tall and is one of the animal with the longest legs.
Their population is spread over all around the world but they majorly are natives to Africa. They are found in more than 25 countries in Africa. They are grown and hunted down for meat. Ostrich has large eyeballs and long pretty eyelashes. They do not have teeth though have a longer tongue.
Brown bears can tremendously reach up to a height of 2.1 to 3 meters standing upright and can weigh up to 227- 408 kilograms. They are the natives to Eurasia and North America.
Brown bears are omnivores. They are immune to predators except for tigers and other wild bears. They have huge claws and sharp teeth which they use to defend themselves from predators.
The world’s tallest horses can reach up to 6 feet. Horse measures from the area where the neck meets the shoulders. An average lifespan of a horse is 25-30 years and runs at an average speed of 88km/hr. They are herbivores and are also domesticated by farmers for fulfilling various purposes and needs. Horses are royal pets from the time of kings.
Camels with their humps can stand-alone bearing height of 6 feet. Some animals have one hump while Bactrian Camels have 2. It’s a misconception that camel hump contains water. However, the camel’s hump contains which it uses as an energy resource.
Camels can survive without water for a longer time. They consume gallons of water at once and can go without water for 3 weeks. Camels are native to the African Desert. Humans use them for carrying loads on their hump.
These species can stand up 6 feet tall at the shoulders and are one of the species with the longest legs in the animal kingdom.
They are the national animal of the USA. These are wild, strong and powerful and weigh 2000 pounds. Bison were considered as endangered in the 1800s. Since then, many organizations protect them and now their population has grown up to 10000 species in the whole world.
An African Buffalo can stand right up 5 feet at the shoulders and weigh around 1000 pounds. These are heavy and really powerful creatures. Their body is long and stocky. Their population is decreasing at a constant pace as humans hunt them for their personal greed.
We saw a large number of species with an amazing height residing in this animal kingdom. Most of them are powerful and strong having a large weight, while the others are lean. Some of them, on the other hand, can run greater speeds. Each species is built with a different body structure which proves to be its major strength and the way of living.